Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I'd been thinking one reason to leave work before I'm 65 is that my husband Art is five years older than me. Why work longer and then have fewer years afterwards to enjoy life and travel with him?

In the last week, though, I had a health scare. My vision changed suddenly one evening last week, and the changes lasted for days. I finally got a diagnosis this morning from an opthalmologist: vitreous detachment. It's a very common, normal part of the aging process. But in the days between its onset and today, it was frightening.

So another reason to leave work before I'm 65 is for myself, for my own enjoyment of life and travel. Seeing each day as fresh and full of possibilities. Enjoying whatever might come along.

I wouldn't say I'm glad for this experience, but I am glad for the learning!

1 comment:

Georgia said...

I think it is important that we pay heed to those reminders of just how fragile life can be.