Sunday, September 5, 2010

Geocaching!

My sister Alyx is visiting from Alaska this weekend. In the past three days, we have found 31 geocaches within six miles of my house. Walked and climbed and slid and foraged in our Washington terrain in search of little Tupperware boxes and metal canisters and bulletlike micro capsules. Found a couple of espresso stands to fortify us. Wandered into Macy's at our regional mall to find a few shirts for her and a winter coat for me. Laughed in delight and confusion at our viewing last night of The Men Who Stare at Goats. Tomorrow Alyx goes home and I get to work on my LONG list of things to do before we leave for Maine on Friday.

Alyx got to pick green beans and squash from our garden and she was as thrilled as I am to see real food going into the steamer and then on to our plates. And thrilled as well at finding ripe blackberries in our neighborhood and along the geocaching trail! I remember when I first moved to this part of the country, it was remarkable to see actual food growing wild. Alyx has decided that if she moves back to the lower 48 from Alaska, she could live in our neck of the woods.

I've moved on to my next ESL module and no longer feel intimated. I do my best and let the rest go. What a concept!





7 comments:

Linda said...

A very nice post. Isn't the Pacific Northwest wonderful? Perhaps you need to live somewhere else for a while to fully appreciate how wonderful it is. There's never been a day I regretted moving here.

Arkansas Patti said...

31 geocaches??? Wow, there are only 2 within a 50 mile radius here. Someday, I will get a GPS, it sounds like fun.

DJan said...

I saw a geocache when I climbed Church Mountain a few weeks ago. It was in a place that only a mountain goat would have found it! Where exactly is Brier? I guess I'll have to look it up on google. Sounds like fun to hunt those caches!!!

DJan said...

Oh, okay, I just looked and see you are near Snohomish! You must have been the blogger who suggested we meet for breakfast, and I went and looked back and couldn't find you! How embarrassing for me... and yes, it would be fun! I haven't been for a few weeks because the weather or travel has gotten in the way. Please feel free to write an email to me (available on my profile) so we can get to know each other a little more.

Teresa Evangeline said...

Geocaching sounds fun and blackberries along the trail! It's nice to have time with a sister. Sounds fun.

Linda Myers said...

Check out www.geocaching.org for how-to details.

Linda Reeder said...

I think geocaching would be fun to do, as long as I don't have to go to precarious places.