Sunday, October 24, 2010

Olive picking in Agello




Our tour guide Stefania lives in Agello, a tiny hill town in Umbria. She made arrangements for our group to pick olives and then take them to the mill for the oil to be extracted.

Before the olives are picked from a tree, a large net is laid down around it - kind of like a Christmas tree skirt. Then the olives are removed from the tree.






Branches can be shaken, or the olives can be picked by hand, or a special rake can be used. The laborer is my husband Art.



















The olives fall into the netting and are then transferred into baskets for transport to the mill.



We watched the milling process and each participant received a bottle of brand new olive oil.

Usually when we travel, after five or six days I become so relaxed I feel boneless.

I am there.




4 comments:

DJan said...

Ah. I can hear and feel your relaxation. And picking olives in such a setting, brilliant! I'm so glad you are bringing me along like this. :-)

Deere Driver said...

Great memories in the making.

Linda Reeder said...

What a great Italian experience! And I'm so glad to hear you are relaxed. It does make a difference when you have guides figuring out the logistics.

Cheryl Kohan said...

An awesome experience, I'm sure. This all sounds and looks just so wonderful and the pictures are really excellent. That bin of olives almost looks like grapes!