Saturday, December 29, 2012

Downtime slog

Ever feel like you're running out of gas?

It's not that I've been too busy. On the contrary. I've had no mediations for two weeks - normal for this time of year. Christmas is done. My husband Art broke a rib last week so his activities have been limited and he has been cranky with the pain. It has rained for three weeks, and the days are just now starting to get longer. I am so, so ready for some sun. I sleep eight or nine hours a night, run an errand or two, and am left to my own devices otherwise. I don't have the energy or interest to do much more than that. I'm not sick or depressed. Just all December'd out. I'm even caught up with my filing. How embarrassing!

My 12-year-old granddaughters Mary and Malayne are visiting this week. They flew by themselves this time, from Eugene to Seattle. Mostly what they want to do is sleep until 11, read, play with the tablets their other grandparents gave them for Christmas, not do laundry, not do dishes, and stay up until 1 or 2. Very normal, and they're still nice girls just barely entering puberty. I told them I would really like it if they would spend their time - between the time they get up and the time the grandpa and I go to bed - upstairs with us, so we can keep each other company while they read or play on their tablets. I can hear them chattering in the living room, and it's a nice sound. This is the fourth year they've been with us between the day after Christmas and New Year's Day.









Mary and Malayne












We try to have some kind of outing each day. Wednesday it was the library, where each of them checked out about eight books. On Thursday we went to the King Tut exhibit at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle, which they pronounced "boring" and then to an Imax showing of "The Mummies of the Pharaohs" (or something like that). Not so boring, especially with the apple snacks that came out of Grandma's purse. Another trip to the library yesterday. And today one twin got her hair "layered and thinned, but not cut shorter". Tomorrow they get picked up by their Uncle James for an overnight while the grandpa and I attend an evening event.

While they're gone, we'll take down the holiday decorations and start packing for our departure on New Year's Day. Two months in Tucson means more than suitcases; we also need the kitchen essentials and folders we need for taking care of business while we're gone. I've installed Go2mypc on my desktop at home and on my laptop so I'll be able to take care of whatever comes up. We've been on 24 trips since we stopped working in June of 2010, but this is the first time travel has spanned the start of a month, when most of our paperwork activity occurs. I also have Dropbox on both computers so I can easily access the common documents. Once we're in Arizona, I want to be able to live life day to day - and that includes the daily things I do online.

I'm pretty sure this week feels like a slog partly because I haven't gotten any exercise. We didn't get to our morning classes (broken rib and my own laziness) and we haven't been able to walk outdoors (rain and my disinterest) and we haven't gone to the gym (same excuse). See, even when I know exercise is an upper, and I'll feel sloggy if I don't do it.... I don't do it anyway.

Oh, well. A week from today, weather and the gods permitting, we'll be settled into our park model in Tucson. Let the sunshine begin!








17 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Oh yes, by now, we all wish for more sun. Have fun.

Jackie McGuinness said...

I so know how you feel!! This is our first winter not working and being away from home. I find we are sleeping a lot and just being lazy. I plan on that changing after New Year.
It's amazing how much stuff you have to pack in the car for a 2 month trip. This has been a learning experience for us so we'll be better prepared the next time!

Thanks for dropping by and visiting!!

Teresa Evangeline said...

I can be such a slug this time of year, but today Buddy and I actually ran through the meadow and it was exhilarating and so good to get out, but then, I don't have the rain to contend with, that would be challenging. I can see why Tucson is started to look pretty darn inviting. Sounds wonderful.

Meryl Baer said...

Enjoy your trip south and time away from the cold, rain and general dreariness of winter in the north. Have fun in Arizona!

DJan said...

I know what you mean. I am contemplating a two-week trip to Florida to visit my sister, and) especially to have some fun in the sun!! Have a great time in Arizona, Linda. I'll be thinking of you... and of course you will post every now and then, right? :-

Linda Reeder said...

While our evenings are sedentary, I prefer to be active during the day, and so far I have had more than enough to do. We've had some dry periods lately so I have been able to get out for four mile walks. It felt great. I hope to get out again tomorrow before the Seahawks game. I really need to go back to working on weight loss after gaining too much over the holidays.
Tomorrow I will begin filling out the 2013 calendar. January is already collecting events. I think the month will fly by, as January's should.
Have a great trip south. I'll enjoy sun and warmth vicariously through you.

turquoisemoon said...

My 12 year granddaughter is visiting too... Same as yours. Sleeps, reads, and plays on some computer artist thingie. We've been doing at least one activity daily too...are we all related???

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I think we are all entitled to a little down time. For one thing, it's how our immune system recharges. Or something like that. With everything you do, you don't need to beat yourself up! I'm going out to shovel snow when it gets a bit warmer, so finally I'll have some fresh air and exercise.

Ms Sparrow said...

What a shame the girls were bored with the King Tut exhibit! When it was here in St Paul I was thrilled to see it. Someday, they will look back and remember it and feel bad they didn't appreciate the rare opportunity to see those artifacts.
They sound like sweet girls.

Sandi said...

I'm jealous that you are going to the sunshine! And I have limitless sympathy for Art and his broken rib! I didn't break any ribs, but I am shocked by how much pain I am in, and it's been 10 days since the fall! Worst pain I can ever remember. I absolutely can't function without some kind of medication.

Enjoy the last moments with your granddaughters and especially your two months in the sun!

Deb Shucka said...

It sounds like you're more than ready for some sunshine. I'm very envious, since my body is seriously done with winter and the days can't get longer fast enough. I hope the sunshine cooks out your doldrums and that you find some happy energy as a snow bird. I hope, too, that the sunshine hastens Art's healing and lightens his outlook.

Deere Driver said...

OK. You know I don't have a choice being out no matter the weather(farmer that I still am),but I have to tell you, a walk in the rain or other God awful weather can be empowering. Even FUN! Don't let a little moisture and cold slow you down.

Smack a baseball hat on your head and you'll hardly know its raining at all. Once you get out the door, the hard part is over!!

b+ (Retire In Style Blog) said...

We are heading for Tucson tomorrow. December has been just perfect for us. We have walked a few times even in the rain. I have reveled in family and grandchildren. I am 71 now and my life has begun to finally click in ways I cannot describe. Clear headed and focused is what I feel. It is wonderful. Finally!!! I will take it thank you.

Be well.

b+

Bob Lowry said...

Your timing is perfect. We've had a cold spell for the past week (highs in the 50's) but things are back to normal this weekend. Expect plenty of sunshine and days around 70.

Welcome to winter in the dessert!

Bob Lowry said...

Would you believe the desert!

Perpetua said...

i hope by now you are safely settled in Tucson, Linda and that the sun and warmth are reviving your body and your spirits. Happy New Year to you both.

wheels4me said...

Enjoy the sunshine and warm weather.