Saturday, August 17, 2013

Tired on Saturday!

I had a busy week. Busier than usual, even for me.

On Monday:
I went to water aerobics, then went to the place I used to work to talk to the CEO. He'd seen me at a retirement luncheon last month for my old manager and, when he realized I'd been gone for three years already, invited me in to talk about what I thought about the company after this length of time. I went because I was curious. It was an interesting conversation. I felt the old pull of a familiar place and familiar faces, but was very glad, as I drove away, that I'd parked in a visitor spot. 

While my husband Art went to his massage, I shopped in a nearby store, Sylvia's, for a new bathing suit. I've had my old suit for nearly ten years but rarely wore it until this year when I started taking water aerobics. Now it's stretched and faded. A young woman in the bathing suit store found me four chlorine resistant suits to try on, and I bought two of them. I hate shopping, especially for bathing suits, and I'd allowed an hour and a half, but I was in and out of that store in 35 minutes. What a relief!

I had a special two-hour massage in the evening with Scott, a therapist I hadn't seen in a couple of years. He spent a lot of time on my lower back, which I injured a couple of years ago, and gave me an exercise to try. I was really glad to see him.  

Tuesday:
I mediated in small claims court - a very satisfying experience where two old friends were able to resolve a debt disagreement between them. I love it when that happens. In the afternoon I did a role play for the weeklong basic mediation training at the dispute resolution center. And in the evening Art and I went to a small group meeting at my church. I'd questioned whether I'd have the energy for this day, but I seemed to do all right.

Wednesday:
I got up early to take Larisa, our Designer Cat, to the vet for a haircut. She gets shaved except for her head, her feet and the tip of her tail. It's called a lion cut, and it's good for longhaired cats in the summer. The tech's notes said, "She didn't hit me today, but she gave me a lot of verbal sass."


Then it was off to the airport to pick up David and Sharon, our houseguests. We had a good conversation, got them settled in, and went to our favorite little lunch place.

Thursday:
I had a three-hour mediation in the morning and another role play in the afternoon.

Friday:
Water aerobics and a noon meeting.

And then, each day, all the little things: tending the garden, laundry and paperwork and finances and talking to our lawyer about our family trust and planning our October trip to Iowa. And my current computer game. And the ongoing contest between me and random ants in the bathroom. Hopefully, that will get resolved next week with the exterminator's second visit.

I have a new exercise from my postural therapist, using a slant board. He thinks once my pelvis and hips get aligned the pressure on my back will be relieved. The slant board addresses multiple oddities with my body structure, and the previously unused muscles are complaining today.

Recently I decided I want to take Sunday as a quiet day. Of course, I'm feeling some pressure to get everything done today, Saturday. And I'm tired and mostly what I want to do is take a nap.  But I'm not sleepy.

I know there are many people who relax easily. I'm not one of them. I do think I'd like to acquire that skill, though. Maybe I'll lie on the floor or in our hammock or sit in an Adirondack chair and read.

Maybe.

10 comments:

DJan said...

I am tired out just reading about your week, Linda. You have an October trip but I hope it won't interfere with our Vashonista reunion. I'm going to be in California the week before our reunion myself. Another very busy time. BTW, today I shelled the black beans from my garden, and now it's empty of stuff to eat, so I can't take any more pictures. I did take plenty over the summer but I think you were elsewhere most of that time. :-)

Meryl Baer said...

You are a role model for any active person!
I think the absolute worst shopping chore is to buy a bathing suit. My current one is about five years old and needs replacement, but I keep putting it off.

Terra said...

Your cat looks good, I have never seen that kind of hair cut for a cat.
I buy five or six bathing suits a year, and know the style, brand and size I like so I don't need to try them on. The chemicals in the pool are tough on suits, I exercise in the pool 3 or 4 times a week, for 15 years now.

Barb said...

It may take awhile but I believe you will be happy once you get in the habit of quiet Sunday.

#1Nana said...

Seems like my busy days are ones where I have maybe one errand to run. Anything that I absolutely have to do feels like pressure now. Retirement is good...so why am I going back to work?

Love Larissa's summer do!

You are really keeping busy with mediation. How great that you get to use those kills on a regular basis.

Looking forward to the reunion in October

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I'm glad that you are getting lots of opportunities to do mediation. But wow, that is quite a schedule! Clearly your fitness activities help make all that activity possible. And I hope the therapy works so your back feels better!

Sally Wessely said...

You make me tired reading this. I guess when we recap our weeks, we realize how busy we are.

I love that you are doing all of this mediation work. I think this is such a great fit for you. I'm looking at taking a course in biblical mediation this fall. The hours can be applied to a certificate. The idea of doing such work has really appealed to me ever since you started your training.

Have a great week next week.

Tom said...

All good stuff. I'm particularly impressed by your old ceo, who must be very nice, and very smart, to check in with you three years later.

Linda Reeder said...

I am not that good at relaxing either, but I'm really working on it this week. August is supposed to be the lazy month! I guess you didn't get the message!

Perpetua said...

No wonder you're tired, Linda. I feel tired just reading about your busy week. :-() It's not that I'm not busy too, at least some of the time, but not in the very organised and, yes, disciplined way you are. How different we all are. :-)