Saturday, August 19, 2017

My Facebook week at Oinofyta camp

So much has happened this week I can hardly remember. So I'm going to cheat a little by compiling my Facebook posts for this week.

August 12, 8:49 p.m.
Two scoops of ice cream for dinner!

August 13, 10:33 p.m.
Sunday. Day of rest. Several naps. Adopted by a friendly dog at dinner. He followed us to the ice cream place and waited outside for us! We walked back to car and he trotted off to find another friend.

August 15, 9:57 a.m.

Still very busy at the camp, but my learning curve is getting a bit shallower. I work with good people! Last night two of our Spanish volunteers cooked the evening meal - Cuban rice. Tomato sauce over fried bananas over rice over a fried egg. Delicious!

August 15, 12:36 p.m.

I stand against racism with 460 refugees - Afghan, Pakistani, and Iranian - and dozens of workers - Spanish, British, Swiss, Colombian, Greek, and American - here at Oinofyta camp in Greece.

August 15, 7:32 p.m.

So, we have an emergency. A fire is approaching Malakasa, the refugee camp just down the road. We have been told that somewhere between 250 and 700 people are being evacuated to our camp. Or maybe not. At any rate, we are preparing for a bunch of people. Talk about disaster relief!

August 16, 10:21 a.m.

All is quiet at camp this morning. We should soon have official notice that the evacuation from Malakasa will not happen. Our three team leads spent the night at camp. Everyone else went home and slept.

August 16, 7:44 p.m.

We were on standby again today for the Malakasa evacuation because the fire changed directions. At 7 we were notified that we can go home.

August 18, 3:23 p.m.

Very busy Friday. I could use a clone of myself and at least three other people.

August 20, 12:00 p.m.

Saturdays are supposed to be quiet at camp! So far we have two significant donations from groups arriving at the warehouse, and the water not working for any bathrooms, and electricity out in part of the camp.

August 20, 3:30 p.m.

Water and electricity are back with us, deliveries are complete, and all of our volunteers are enjoying a lunch prepared by a resident.

August 20, 7:44 p.m.

Still here at camp, waiting my turn for a ride home. Twelve people, one small car today.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I read what you've accomplished on Saturday, and it's not even noon here on the Pacific coast of California. How fast the world spins.

whalechaser said...

Thank you (and Art) for all you do.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

You and the other volunteers are heroes. Bless you all.

Olga said...

You are so good to do this work.
Had to chuckle about the two scoops of ice cream -- presidential treatment.

DJan said...

I am glad you are there helping so much, but I will also feel a little bit of relief when I know you're home safe and sound. :-)

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

I admire your stregnth. Hope you'll soon be home to recover from your stressful volunteer mission. Thank you for caring.

Arkansas Patti said...

Like Djan, I so admire what you do but do tend to worry about you till you make it home. Stay safe.

Barb said...

I would love to hear your thoughts, if you are comfortable sharing here or elsewhere on how someone who cannot do what you do can reach out an help these people (beyond advocating I mean, I kind of assume that's understood). Can one make small donations? Can creative types make blankets or cothes? I'm just feeling my way here as I tend to be an action person.

Linda Myers said...

If you would like to help, the best thing you can do is donate money. Do Your Part is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, so you can deduct your contributions. Go to doyourpart.org to donate. Money that goes into our bank today can be withdrawn tomorrow in Greece and used immediately. All of our staff is a volunteer, so your money goes directly to those who need it.

And thank you!

Dee said...

Dear Linda, you bring me into the real world with your postings--whether they are made up of Facebook posts or longer ones. Thank you for your work for others. Peace.

Barb said...

Thank you Linda, I will share that with my church immigration//refugee task force as well this weekend.

By the way folks, my url at LIving Richly In Retirement these days is richlyretired@blogspot.com. I hated making the change, but a week was enough time wrestling with the techies at google and blogger who could not re-install my personal domain.

joared said...

You certainly had challenges during that week. The thought of hundreds more refugees coming to your camp due to the fires would be overwhelming. Maintaining some semblance of order would not be easy I would think. Think of you with best wishes for your welfare and that of the refugees.