Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Bag Lady Gratitudes

I've got a cold this week, so I've stayed pretty close to home. Still, I've pondered, as I usually do this time of year. Here are a few of my gratitudes:


  • We scaled down the holidays this year and so far I am content with the outcomes. No stress. Opportunities to say yes to the unexpected (handbells on Christmas Eve) and no to the obligatory (gift buying). A miniature holiday tree and a Santa hat for the javalina in our tiny yard.




  • Volunteering at a refugee camp - four times in one year.  Lots of stress and even more wonder - at innumerable sacrifices and kindnesses in the face of chaos and tragedy. 






  • New friends whose first language is Farsi or Greek.
  • Finding a niche to be of service at our winter home in Tucson. Every other Saturday I volunteer at a legal clinic listening to people tell their stories in preparation for the interviews that are part of the asylum process.
  • Identifying a compelling reason to learn Spanish! I've been advised to listen to the news in Spanish and watch Spanish soap operas. But Rosetta Stone is a big help also.
  • A haircut and color for the holidays!



10 comments:

DJan said...

Wow! Now that's a gratitude list all right, and a super wonderful fine picture at the end. Wishing you and Art all the best during this super holiday season, Linda. :-)

1NurseRatched said...

I love the tree and javelina hat - but best of all is your hair. I so admire the woman you have become, the one who says "yes" to stepping out of her comfort zone and living such a full and service-centered life with that blue streak in your hair that shouts, "Hey everybody, I'm really LIVING." Merry Christmas, my dear sister.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Linda, that’s a wonderful list. You are driving much of your own happiness through the choices you make. That’s a good position to be in!

Linda Reeder said...

A new take on blue haired old ladies. :-)
Those of us who are fortunate to be living the lives we choose have much to be grateful for, especially at this time of the year. I feel that gratitude every day too.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

You are such a generous and kind lady. You epitomize the spirit of giving all year round. Gifts of the heart are so much better than gifts in a box. Bless you for all you do and I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Olga said...

All the best for this season and a new year to come.

Anonymous said...

Love your javellina. Very merry and bright.

Arkansas Patti said...

Be gone cold and hope you are sniffle free soon. You and Art epitomize the Christmas spirit all year. Wishing you both just a marvelous holidays.

Tom said...

I am so impressed by your volunteer work, an inspiration to us all. I'll be interested to see how the Spanish goes with Rosetta Stone.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Yes you year was very challenging indeed. Your hair is pretty. I hope the cold is gone soon . Here colds have become nasty and needed meds but all are better now.