Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Bemused

I'm usually an optimist. This week, though, not so much.

1. For eight days I've been just a little off healthwise. You know, the winter stuff. A sinus issue with off-and-on vertigo. Lower energy. A little anxiety. Passing up opportunities for walking, riding my bike and doing water exercise. Even foregoing a John Denver tribute concert last week. When I'm even a little bit sick, everything looks pointless. I've learned not to take my bleak thoughts seriously, but still.

2. My friend Ellen helped me arrange pictures on a wall of our little place. They're all from the refugee camp at Oinofyta where I have spent so much of my time, money, energy and passion in the last two year. I love the arrangement, but now every time I pass that wall I remember. And I am there again. And things at Oinofyta are quite different now, and not in a good way.



3. It has been cloudy and cool in Tucson for over a week now. I like the sun. I should say I NEED the sun.

4. ICE has released 100 people today after two weeks of very few. I wish asylum seekers weren't pawns in political maneuvering. I'm at least glad we have signed up for an extra shift this week.

Here's an email I just got this morning:

Volunteers needed TODAY
Wednesday, January 16th

Looking for Spanish Speaking volunteers to wait at the bus station with families.

Volunteers needed ALL day long
.

Due to high numbers of families released by ICE yesterday and today we are in need of trained Spanish Speaking volunteers to cover shifts at the bus station to allow for more room to receive families at the shelters. 

If you are comfortable with explaining bus tickets and can spend some time welcoming families being dropped off by Casa Alitas to the greyhound bus station and waiting with them please call or text
Katherine Smith (206)306-3569
OR reply to this Email with Subject: "GREYHOUND" 



Prefered shifts:
11:00am-2:00pm
2:00pm-5:00pm
5:00pm-8:00pm
8:00pm-11:00pm *(If needed)
 

5. I'm almost reluctant to post this, given my usual positive outlook. Still, I'm sure I'm not the only one. Right?






7 comments:

Kathy @ SMART Living 365.com said...

Hi Linda! We all have down days. And yes, health can be a real big part of that if we aren't feeling that great. Hopefully your's clears up quickly along with the cloudy weather. It's been chilly, cloudy and rainy up here near Palm Springs too. I'm like you. I know it is good for the environment in many ways--but one day a week is enough!!!!! I'm ready for sun too. Stay as optimistic as you can. ~Kathy

Terra said...

Like you I get down when I have a health challenge, plus since becoming a widow two years ago I am still somewhat fragile emotionally. So I can relate to feeling the blues, and this week's rain is not very cheerful. The sun will shine again, thank goodness.

Cynthia said...

I love the art on the email you received. Very uplifting that 100 souls were finally released and ready to make their way into life as an immigrant in America. I’m sorry you’re feeling a bit gloomy. We have had weeks of gray weather since Christmas and they are getting to everyone. Today the sun shone and we took our chairs to the beach and got some vitamin D and that perked us up a lot. Hope you feel better. P

Linda Reeder said...

Some days are diamonds, some days are stones
Sometimes the hard times won't leave me alone
Sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my bones
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones…

1NurseRatched said...

Hope you feel better soon. That vertigo is very unsettling - I get it too. Love the wall arrangement. Colorful, artful, and meaningful. I've had a couple of down days in a row and my Medical Director, a psychiatrist, prescribed exercise (as in force yourself, Alyx). Our work environment has been particularly stressful this week and he has been running 10 miles every night after work. I will say I feel a little better tonight thanks to some exercise and a big piece of chocolate cake.

Arkansas Patti said...

Dreary days and feeling punk can take the best out of the game for a while. Feel better and hope the sun comes out soon.

Tom said...

It's easy to get discouraged about the big picture; but we still keep on doing what we can do. What else can we do?!?