Monday, February 18, 2019

What's going on in the borderlands?

Art and I continue to volunteer on Saturday evenings at a refugee shelter in Tucson. This article, sent to me by a friend, gives the best description I have read about what's happening there.

I haven't attended a church service since we arrived in Tucson on October 31. But after four hours on Saturday evening, at St. Francis in the Foothills Methodist Church, I feel like I have been to church. Truly, it's about love and service.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900056177/life-at-the-border-church-volunteers-fill-the-humanitarian-gap-to-help-migrant-asylum-seekers-in-arizona.html?fbclid=IwAR2ceo90OyuhUvfanuC69p67oSbFEne3iPcRsI5zzaZhPEHsgp_n_kOM4zw

7 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

Thank you for sharing that. Very interesting.

Janette said...

Wonderful work. I know that my old Kansas town is taking in a lot of people. My friend said her school is now 1/3 Spanish or Indigenous speakers. The Churches are working overtime to fill the gaps of need. Hard work, they are busy on the secondary lines. They have helped refugees in the past- Iranian, Somali, Vietnamese, Cambodian.
Americans are amazing people.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

When I read this article, and the good that so many people are doing, I have hope that we will get through this.

These two sentences touched me so. "We have a variety of religions working side-by-side here, and everybody has the same attitude, the same common religious values," he said. "In Judaism, it's called Tikkun Olam," which is a concept of acts of kindness performed to repair the world.” We sure are in need of that.

dkzody said...

You don't have to ATTEND the church when you are BEING the church.

Cynthia said...

I cried as i read this. Thank goodness for people like these who will help. Today in our small town in South Carolina a few people gathered to protest Trump’s wall. They made the local news on Facebook and the majority of comments were absolutely hate-filled. I recognize some of the names on those comments of people around town who call themselves “Christians” and I just can’t understand it. I want tthink pack up and go help!

DJan said...

Thank God for good hearted people. I know you are one of them, and you make me feel guilty for only giving money and not my time. I must do better. This article is incredible.

Arkansas Patti said...

I am totally disheartened by the plight of so many people but also heartened by the selflessness and compassion of those on the front lines. I pray for both.