Friday, October 9, 2015

Vashonista celebration

Last weekend, when the six Vashonista bloggers wrote together, workshop style, our last prompt was for a ten-minute write on the famous last line of Mary Oliver's poem, "The Summer Day": "What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Here's what I wrote:

I plan to say yes. To whatever comes along, especially if it's unexpected. I've said this often recently: I'm standing in an open field, forest all around me. I'm waiting, with my arms stretched up and out, for what it is I am supposed to be. Not do. Be.

I have at my feet all my gifts: intelligence, articulate expression in the spoken and written word, the ability to listen with sensitivity and care, a passion for creating understanding between and among. At this point I have no idea how that will turn out. Who will enter the clearing? Will they arrive on two legs or four or none? Will they be visible or just a spirit or essence? I am sure I will recognize their arrival quite quickly, regardless of their form.

Most of my bucket list items have been crossed off. I have only a half dozen more travel destinations to experience. What's left, I think, are the intangibles; what I don't yet recognize should be on that list. Three opportunities have arisen this year, all related to connectedness in different arenas. And two workshops have caught my attention after months of "not much out there". Next Saturday is "Mental Health First Aid for Faith Communities" and the following Saturday is "Active Hope - How to Face the Mess We're In Without Going Crazy." So far, I am still saying yes, knowing I'm on a right path.

Who am I to know what it is I'm supposed to do? What will the yesses to come be about? "We are all in this together" has been my mantra for a while now. Who are we, and what is together? I have to keep saying yes. That's the only way I'll know.





What would you write?

16 comments:

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

I love your concept of saying "Yes!" to live and its opportunities and adventures!

Deb Shucka said...

Even better the second time around. I think we should each print our own and post it somewhere prominent as a reminder on those days when we forget.

DJan said...

I am so glad that one of your Yes's includes me, dear Linda, my fellow Vashonista. :-)

Sandi said...

I absolutely love that you plan to say, "Yes!" to life. I think you already do, and it's good that you are consciously aware of being open to all possibilities. What an adventure there is in store for you, because you say, "Yes!"

Rosaria Williams said...

What a delightful idea! Your openness to life will carry you forward.

#1Nana said...

I'm learning from you, Linda! Yes is a powerful word.

Travels with Emma said...

Thanks for posting the links. I enjoyed reading all of the responses to the prompt. It gets one thinking.

Arkansas Patti said...

Perfect.Too often we let caution rule. Just saying yes opens up ones life so much. You have been quite good at that.

Sally Wessely said...

Your response is so you. It was the woman I have come to know. It is the woman who has grown so much over the past few years. Who would ever imagine you as a bag lady clutching tightly to her few early treasures, afraid to let go an live? I certainly don't see you like that. You have captured your essence in the piece.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

We too often say "no" with ease and "yes" with trepidation. As we grow older, we realize we have done it all wrong. How nice that aging can set us right.

Linda Reeder said...

I have now read all six of the Vashonista's responses to this prompt. They leave me wondering what I would have written.
Saying yes is something I have to consciously work on. It's a good plan for me as well.

Tom said...

Sounds like a great group, and it's a fantastic idea for an essay. "Yes" has always been my favorite word.

On a practical note. Whenever I come on your blog I get this message: "A username and password are being requested by http://prac-gadget.googlecode.com. The site says: "Google Code Subversion Repository" Do you know what that means, and does anyone else get it? I always just x is out, but it seems to make my computer a little squirrely.

b+ (Retire In Style Blog) said...

You are without a doubt the most wisdom seeking person I have ever had the privilege of knowing. Your "yes" will continue for you until there is nothing left to know! Loved this Linda.

b+

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Linda, you have taken on so many new adventures, gained new skills, used those skills to create new experiences.... This post takes things to a new level. "Say yes and trust the outcomes" shows a real ability to trust both yourself and the universe. It's exciting and inspiring! I look forward to following your journey.

lyndagrace said...

Hello Linda,
I think it is so neat that not only have you all found each other in the blogosphere, but that same connection has brought you together in the real world.
I was so sincerely moved by Mary Oliver's poem, that I have been inspired to write a post using her poem as a prompt.
Also, I will be mentioning your post.

Thanks!

Midlife Roadtripper said...


"Who am I to know what it is I'm supposed to do? What will the yesses to come be about?"

Most interesting questions you pose. Quite insightful of Deb to choose this Mary Oliver poem. Great prompt. Very happy for the time your group spends together.