Sunday, October 4, 2015

Waking up with a clear heart

I'm a Vashonista. Three years ago, six bloggers gathered for the first time at Lavender Hill Farm on Vashon Island, just across the water from Seattle.



Most of us knew each other only from reading each other's blogs. Now we're a community for a few days in October each year.


This year we decided to spend part of each day in a writing workshop. On Thursday night, at our first session together, our facilitator Deb gave us our first prompt: "What is it that I want from this experience"? Once all six of us had written and shared our writing with each other, commonalities emerged: a sense of discovery, a search for authenticity, a writing community. Deb created other writing prompts to help us reach our goal.



We spent yesterday writing and listening, laughing and shedding a few tears. We relaxed into the safe, accepting place we've known for several years.

I'd been doing some grieving about the loss of a friend for several months. After a couple of quiet conversations and a short prompted write, I was finally able to let go of the friend. This morning, when I woke up, morning light was streaming through the windows. I heard faint voices downstairs, and laughter. And my heart was clear.

Today we went to the Saturday Farmer's Market, as we always do. We all got a little crazy and had our feet or arms henna'ed. I chose feet.


I had a lively conversation with Colin, a fellow selling honey and hoping to make a living with his Vashon goat farm.



There's nothing quite so comforting and fun as a room full of friends.

10 comments:

DJan said...

I have to agree. It's been a wonderful experience and I am also having a great time. It's been really an eye opener to learn all these different techniques to help with writing blocks. :-)

joeh said...

If he can get honey from a goat, he should make a fortune!

Linda Reeder said...

It's the middle of the night. I have insomnia. But that "honey from a goat" comment made me laugh out loud. Hope I didn't wake Tom up.
Share this with your writing "sisters". It's perfect for another good laugh, and a writing lesson!

Deb Shucka said...

I'm sitting in our Lavender Hill house on our last full day together, the sun not quite up yet. I'm so honored to be a Vashonista, and amazed at what we've been able to create together in this sacred space. The title of this post really speaks to me and my new retirement life, but it also is now a part of how I'll see you in the days ahead. May all six of us go home tomorrow with hearts that have expanded and opened and softened just a bit. And maybe even having found ways to get honey from goats. :-)

Arkansas Patti said...

What a fun thing you all are doing and in such a lovely setting. Keep enjoying and learning.
Still giggling from joeh's comment.

b+ (Retire In Style Blog) said...

Loved seeing you all together again. :)

Barbara

Elaine said...

I think that is such a wonderful idea. It would be a lot of fun just hanging out with you for a weekend!

Sandi said...

Ah, Linda, what a delightful few days we had together! I, too, can relate to your pleasure in waking with a clear heart. It was so lovely to wake this morning with a clear heart, and without the need to rush off to work.
I cherish the memory of our walking and talking together. It was an amazing retreat!

Sandi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dee said...

Dear Linda, every year when you and DJan and Deb meet with three other bloggers/friends I so enjoy the postings that you and DJan write. And this year's writing workshop brought forth my envy. I'd love to learn about writing from Deb.

Thanks so much for commenting on my recent post--the first since last November. I'm going to be somewhat sporadic in posting and also reading, but I do plan to begin once again to follow bloggers, like yourself, who introduce me to new ideas and experiences. Peace.