Thursday, April 8, 2010

Yesterday afternoon was scary. I found out that my husband Art's Medicare Part B hadn't been set up yet by our local Social Security office. The interviewer forgot to talk about it in March, and I forgot to ask. Art is retiring on May 1, and we need to sign up with our HMO for the Medicare Advantage plan so he rolls directly from his employment-covered medical insurance. Inside my head, the Bag Lady took over.

I ran through the worst-scenario in my head: Medicare Part B doesn't come through until after May 1. Art is without insurance coverage. When he tries to get into Medicare Advantage after a short lapse of coverage, he can't get into the plan because he's 67 and has the usual pre-existing blood pressure and cholesterol issues. Our savings all go to his medical care. We become a statistic.

Not only did I run through this scenario, I trapped it in my head and replayed it multiple times during the evening, relating it to a friend over dinner and to my sister over the phone. At 3 a.m. I woke up for another replay. At 4 I went back to sleep and woke up at 7 feeling groggy.

Husband Art stopped by the Social Security office this morning and got enrolled in Medicare Part B. End of story.

But not really. I was feeling confident, almost cocky, that blogging about the Bag Lady would exorcise her from my head. I see that's not the case. I can talk all I want, plan every last detail I can think of. And there will be things that come up anyway.

Every now and then, I'm still afraid of my Bag Lady.


1 comment:

#1Nana said...

I relate to your posts, but I actually admire the bag lady! She isn't afraid to confront her fears and then she does something about it. Perhaps the strategy should be to welcome her and be grateful for her concern. Full disclosure alert: This advice is coming from a retired Nana who retired without advance planning and prefers to just not think about negative consequences. With my head in the sand I go on believing that nothing bad can really happen to ME. I think I need the bag lady to visit me once in a while.