Thursday, November 18, 2021

A conversation with my Afghan friends. You're invited.

I've been chatting most evenings on Facebook with my Afghan friends. Mostly it's been with Samira, since she's 12 time zones ahead of me (I'm in Arizona, Mountain Standard Time). Samira is still in Pakistan. Because of a few donations from friends, she and her family have moved from a one-room place with a washroom but no kitchen, to a two-room lodging. Her children can play outside now. She is reaching out to make connections elsewhere in hopes of finding a way to leave Pakistan for another, safer country.

Many of us don't know any refugees, so what we learn about their plight these days is just what we read in the paper or online. That was my situation until I spent some time volunteering at a camp in Greece. Now I'm aware of it every day. 

Two friends of mine here in Tucson have offered to host a webinar on Saturday, December 4. Both Nadim and Samira will be joining us, from Germany and Pakistan. I'll be having a conversation with them, basing the topics on my own knowledge of their experiences as well as on questions that are sent to me by people planning to attend the webinar. There will be an opportunity for attendees to post their questions online as well.

The webinar will begin at 10:00 a.m. Mountain Standard time on the 4th. If you are interested in being part of this experience, please send me an email asking for an invitation. My email address is budsmom48@gmail.com. In your email, please include any questions you may have for Nadim or Samira. I'd like to hear from you by Wednesday, November 24.

"We are all in this together, and we are all the same."



5 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

Thank you for doing this. I have commitments that day but I do realize that the more we know, the better our world will be.

Friko said...

"We are all in this together, and we are all the same."

Not when you look at the whole miserable problem from the UK. Migrants are 'unwanted scroungers' if you believe the vast majority of British. Compassion is in very short supply here.

Rajani Rehana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rajani Rehana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You are missed. Your readsers hope that you are ok.
Happy holidays!
Chris