Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Two days in a row!

I am not a morning person. At all. One of the great benefits of retirement is being able to sleep until I wake up without an alarm clock. Usually.

Yesterday, though, I had an 8 a.m. massage appointment. It was the only one available from my fabulous therapist. About a 25-minute drive for me. So I woke up at 7, jumped in and out of the shower, had a quick cup of coffee and a piece of toast, and drove to my appointment. I arrived right on time. The receptionist welcomed me. I said, "I have an 8 o'clock appointment with Angie." The receptionist said, "Oh, I'm so sorry. I tried to call you to let you know that Angie called in sick this morning." I hadn't heard the phone but apparently the call came in ten minutes before I arrived. I said, cheerfully, "Oh, well, sometimes these things happen." I made another appointment for next week and left.

On my way home it occurred to me that the place where I get my pedicures was right on the way. So I stopped in, looking forward to having someone take care of my feet. Parked the car, walked across the sidewalk and read the sign, "Hours 9 to 6". It was 8:20. Too early. I drove home and finished my now-cold coffee.

Then today I actually had another 8 a.m. appointment, this one with my new medical provider. The doctor we've been seeing while we're here in Tucson in the winter is leaving the clinic, and we'll be seeing a PA instead. The appointment was for a "transfer of care" conversation. Again, I woke up at 7, did my morning things, drove for 20 minutes, and got to the clinic at 8. I said to the lady at the front desk, "I have an 8 o'clock appointment with PA Goodman." And the lady said... "Oh, I'm sorry, the PA called out sick today. We called your number and left a message." I stood there for a few seconds, thinking maybe this is Groundhog Day, and then I said, "Well, can you reschedule me?" My appointment is now February 24, nearly six weeks out. 

I had a conversation with my son James earlier this week. He'd gone out to get in his car and it wouldn't start. He said, "I'm cursed!" I said, "James, everyone has problems." Then today, he told me it was a dead battery and all is now well. His was a car, and mine was two canceled appointments.  

Two days in a row! However, there are these positive things:

  • Both receptionists were apologetic and pleasant
  • Early morning traffic was light
  • I got replacement appointments
  • I can afford a massage
  • I have good medical coverage
  • I am not sick
  • I saw the sun rise both days


8 comments:

Terra said...

Your list in your post at the end is a good one. Also, I think you took the cancellations of two appointments with good grace so you can add that to your list.

Tom said...

Yeah, I was gonna say ... but you're NOT sick. So may I make a suggestion? Schedule those appointments in the AFTERNOON!

DJan said...

I am glad to know you are so easygoing. I think I would have been pretty annoyed, to tell you the truth. I got a massage last week and it was delightful.

Rian said...

Linda, I NEVER make 8AM appointments! DH does. He likes to get things done early. I don't come fully awake these days until at least 10Am... but I do get up at 8 (and I hate to rush). But you certainly took it all well.

Linda Reeder said...

I like your follow-up list. I think it's important to be kind these days, especially to medical providers, who are stretched this.

Olga said...

I don't care for early morning appointments but sometimes it's the only way to actually get one.

Bob Lowry said...

Lemonade out of lemons, right? Love your list.

Donna said...

Yes indeed...there are many things to be grateful for...
Well played.
hugs
Donna