Friday, April 28, 2023

Snowbirds going home tomorrow

This was our tenth year as snowbirds in Tucson. A few things made it less satisfying than usual:

  • Larisa, our Designer Cat, crossed the rainbow bridge on December 1. She was 17 and had been ailing for a couple of months. Being without that girl has been a big deal. We weren't ready for a new cat for almost three months. 
  • Dutchy, our new Siberian Forest cat, is also Designer Qualified. We drove five hours from Tucson to Kingman to pick her up on February 26. Nine weeks later, she has become part of the household, but so far, if I want to pet her, I have to bend over where she is lying stretched out on the floor. She won't share a chair or a couch with us yet. She ignores Art except at feeding time. Tomorrow she is going to take her first airplane ride.
  • Tucson had a cooler winter than usual, with more cloudy days. We kind of skipped spring, as the temps went from the 60s to the 80s just a few weeks ago. 
  • The resort swimming pools underwent maintenance for much of the season, so water exercise wasn't in the cards for me this year.
  • My left knee needs to be replaced. I have an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon on May 8. I didn't want to have surgery and then physical therapy in Washington's fall weather, or arthritis as I was recovering, so I bit the bullet and accepted the awkwardness and pain of bone on bone.
Still, a bunch of things were just fabulous:
  • I love playing handbells. The only times my busy mind is quiet is when playing bells or doing yoga. 
  • We painted all the cabinets in our park model. They'd been brown wood, and now they're a pale gray-green. The place looks bigger and lighter. I'd never even thought of paint until this, our ninth season.
  • My next door neighbor Sharon has a wonderful eye for decorating. This year we replaced the faux leather loveseat that came with the place with a new-to-us LazyBoy sleeper sofa, and the Ikea desk with a couple of Wayfair pieces that I would never have considered except for Sharon's recommendation. I love the new look.
  • We have a dinner group - eight people that go out to eat every Friday. We meet at a restaurant of choice at 4:30 and we're home by 6:45. Living the life! 
  • I led an online class through the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (Olli). Three 90-minute sessions in March. The class was called "Saying Yes to Life After Retirement - Making a Difference." It took time to prep for the class, and I was quite nervous during the planning part, but the class went well.
  • I still volunteer at The Inn of Southern Arizona, though in a different capacity than a few years ago when I worked a shift with asylum seekers in the basement of a Tucson church. Now I'm vice president of the Board, so I get to have input on both current issues and planning for the future. 
  • We spent four February days in Sedona. Five of our eight grown kids joined us. During the day they did all the adventurous things while Art and I hung out in our condo. Each evening we gathered for dinner, either in a restaurant or in a condo unit. We have some good cooks in our family!
  • We've decided not to bring a second car to Tucson next year - road trips aren't as fun as they were when we were younger and our bodies were more flexible - so we traded in our battered, high-mileage 2005 Prius for a 2009 model in better shape and with lower mileage. Art drives it now, but next year we will share.
We're ready to go home tomorrow, to the greener Pacific Northwest.



6 comments:

Kathy @ SMART living 365.com said...

Hi Linda! Enjoyed our lunch together very much. Hopefully we can do more next season. Meanwhile have a wonderful summer and we'll see you then! ~Kathy

Tom said...

The pale gray-green sounds nice. Post a photo? And congrats on doing your course. I know it's a lot of work, and a little bit nerve-racking.

Joanne Noragon said...

Thanks for the picture. The makeover is lovely.
Your analysis if the year seems quite comprehensive. I think the pluses outweighed the negatives. And, good luck with your new knee. My sister had hers replaced and can't believe she waited so long.

Linda Reeder said...

That cat of yours really needs to learn lap therapy. I hope that happens.
My right knee is waiting until I recover from my second hip replacement. I'm at 7 weeks now and coming along. Each surgery seems to take a little longer for recovery.
Spring is lovely here right now. Welcome home.

DJan said...

Yes, welcome home! It's been a beautiful and cool spring so far, with a little blip of warmth to give you a taste of the summer ahead. Glad to hear how much you accomplished during your winter sojourn. :-)

Allison said...

Welcome back! I love the paint color you chose for your cabinetry. That's a nice looking park model.