Saturday, May 18, 2019

The time between

Usually, at the end of the winter season, I fly from Tucson back to Seattle. It takes three hours and then I shift immediately from warm desert to cooler green. I don't have much time to process the change or adjust myself to the different surroundings that await.

Art did that this year. But I'd made plans with my traveling friend for a road trip from Tucson to midcoast California (Los Osos, just west of San Luis Obispo). My friend's sister has a place there, and the sister would be in France for a month, and my friend - and I - were invited to spend some time in the coastal cottage.

It was a two-day drive, with a stop in Yucca Valley for the night. We avoided Los Angeles by taking back roads through the high desert east of there, including Joshua Tree National Park.







The freeway went by Lancaster, in the Antelope Valley, where I lived 45 years ago as a young married woman. The only thing that was familiar were the street names and the mountains around it. But just past Lancaster, going north, it looked exactly the same as in 1975 - scrub desert.

Between the vineyards south of Bakersfield and the Pacific coast there's a mountain road - Route 166, I think, passing through the Cuyama Valley  - with gorgeous views. The early afternoon sun provided contrasts of sun and shade among the greens and golds. I've spent many years in California but had never traveled this road.

We've settled into my friend's sister's place in Los Osos. 










So far we've explored Los Osos, Baywood and Morro Bay, eaten unhurried midday meals at local cafes, explored state parks and hiked on cliffside beach trails.






Our "cottage" is heated by a gas stove, just right for cooler evenings and rainy days. We read, and snack, and nap, and break the silence of the place with occasional conversation. It is the perfect place for me to be in this time between.

In four days I'll get on a plane in San Luis Obispo and fly to Seattle, ready to embrace the challenges and the pleasures of the suburb we've called home for the last 25 years.


7 comments:

Celia said...

Looks like a beautiful place to pause and then go home, how serendipitous.

DJan said...

It looks wonderful to me, and I envy the description of your days. Sounds perfect to me. :-)

Linda Reeder said...

This sounds wonderful. I love road trips on back roads. Your stay at the ocean side cottage sounds magical.

Janette said...

The perfect pause.

Tom said...

A great way to travel ... love the pics!

dkzody said...

Morro Bay and Cayucos are favorites of ours. We rent an apartment in Cayucos overlooking the pier for a week every now and then. Totally nothing to do but walk, watch the waves, and have an afternoon ice cream.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

What a nice, easy break with a friend. I have never been to that area but I have been to many places in California and have liked it all. It is a very interesting state with so much to see and enjoy.