Friday, March 25, 2022

Looking back on some 2014 foolishness

 I wrote this in 2014, just eight years ago.

 My husband Art is six years older than me and for at least ten years he's been complaining about his aching bones. He's had a hip and a knee replaced, two rotator cuff surgeries and a hand surgery. Oh, and a pacemaker following a cardiac arrest last winter. He didn't use to seem that old to me. When we met we were in our 40s and he was trim and strong and nimble. Now he walks with a little hunch and groans a little when he gets out of his chair. Some days when he's cranky  all he wants to do is read the paper and work the puzzles and read in the living room, I ask if his arthritis is bothering him and he says yes.  

That is not going to happen to me. I know it isn't.

I've been healthy nearly all my life. When I was younger I broke my left arm and my left leg. Once in a while my back would go out, but it would be better within a few days. Usually it happened after I lifted something heavy. 

When I was 59 I ruptured my Achilles tendon working out at the gym. No big deal, the trainer said. I'd have surgery and P.T. and then I'd have a full recovery. So I had the surgery and did the P.T. and have, I'd say, about a 90 percent recovery. I don't have any pain but my right leg is smaller than my left. Something about the other leg compensating or whatever. Funny that didn't happen when I broke my leg at 23.

That same year I strained my SI joint. Maybe doing yoga, or maybe once when I slipped on an icy sidewalk and fell. My chiropractor took X-rays and pointed out that my lower spine is messed up and my pelvis is tilted. He said I was lucky I wasn't in any pain. But I was - for six months my SI joint hurt. We went to Paris for Christmas and I walked with a cane the whole week. Eventually I figured out I could go to the gym and work out on the elliptical trainer and get myself back into shape. I thought I'd recover completely, but the SI still bothers me seven years later when I'm on my feet too much in a day, or spending too much time in an airplane seat. I'm hoping it will get itself in order pretty soon. When I was younger my body always healed right up.

Three years ago I sat down in a chair that was two inches lower than I was expecting and I messed up my back. A light show of nerve sensations ripped down my leg from thigh to knee. Within half an hour my feet were tingling. I went to a chiropractor who said the sensations would pass within a few hours. They didn't. It's been three and a half years. The sensations are still there, though not as strong as they were at first. I hear it can take five years for these kinds of things to clear up and sometimes they never do get better. I think about my feet from time to time, especially when it's cold and they complain, but I don't worry. Everyone gets injured now and then, and I'm no exception. This doesn't have anything to do with getting older.

This summer I did so much watering of my garden that I strained muscles in my arms and legs. They're still bothering me. Really, it's annoying. This never used to happen to me.

I have other little odds and ends of physical issues. Nothing serious. I had one cataract removed a couple of years ago and will take care of the other one next summer. I try to get all my errands run before dark since I don't see so well at night. I'm a little stiff when I wake up in the morning.

But I'm never going to have aching bones like my husband. Not me. Nope.


Now it's 2022, and my story is different!

Now I have aching bones and I complain almost as much as Art. I had my right hip replaced last summer and, though it's healing, my low back and my left knee are complaining. Some days are better than others, of course. But some days aren't. And while we choose to live in Seattle from May to October, I already know that until the rain stops in late June, those aches will be quite bothersome.

I watch younger people in our Tucson retirement community - they're mostly in their 50s - playing tennis and jogging. And I remember how I felt at that age. They have no idea that the same thing will happen to them. Actually, they've been told it will happen, but they don't really believe it. Just like I didn't.

This afternoon I'll take an eight-mile ride on my electric bike. It will be so easy, with a little bit of pedal assist, that I'll be inclined to forget I'm one of those with aching bones. 

Until I get off the bike and climb the four stairs to our house.




6 comments:

Barbara Torris said...

Boy do I hear you. When Earl passed away in December I had to tough up and open bottles myself, mow the lawn and dig any digging that needed to be done. Learning to drive EVERYWHERE was a big eye opener too. But like you, I still love my life...aching bones and all.

Give your Art my best and tell him to walk to the corner of the block (or house) which ever is possible. Pain is so directly related to inactivity. Darn.

Thinking of you.

Barbara

Linda Reeder said...

Well, I can certainly identify. I had my right hip replaced a year ago, and it healed fine, but then tendonitis set in and it still persists. My back is double fused and is now always stiff, but now my L5 -S1 is going bad. I get to live with that one. It's my right knee that's deteriorating along with my other hip. I had a aortic valve replacement last month. But now I await my neurological appointment to find out if something is wrong with my brain that might be causing we to have additional trouble walking. I have always been an active, outside person. I never imagined I would fall apart this fast.

Joanne Noragon said...

How I sympathize with you. I'm counting on PT to keep me moving this year.

DJan said...

It goes with the territory, I guess. I feel pretty lucky that my knees aren't bothering me since I have curtailed my exercise during Covid lockdown and wake up with some pain but most of it diminishes as the day goes on. Although I can no longer do nine miles and 3,000 feet of elevation, I can do enough to make myself happy. I'm glad you're still hanging in there, Linda! :-)

dkzody said...

The 50s and 60s are great decades. I am so glad I retired at 58 so I had energy and good health to help with tiny grandchildren. Now, as I just turn 70, I still feel good and can enjoy doing activities with the grandchildren, but I know this could all change very quickly. I never take a day for granted.

Joared said...

I hear you! My husband was 7 years older than me. I've come to appreciate some of what he experienced that I thought would never be my problems. I have my share of pain though different than his. Had hoped to read your hip surgery had made you good as new but guess it's better than if you never had it.