Saturday, March 5, 2022

Not an ordinary week!

This has been a week!

A week ago today I got a video from my Afghan friends Shakofe and Nasar. Shakofe had arrived with her family in Turin earlier in the week, and her brother Nasar had driven with his wife and four children from Germany to be reunited with his sister, whom he had not seen in six years. I played the video several times, tearing up at least once, and feeling so glad for the outcome of Shakofe's journey.

Early in the afternoon I had an hour-long Zoom call with my sister and brother-in-law. My husband Art joined that call, and we talked and laughed together.

Then the carpet cleaner came. While he worked, I sat on the deck and read in the sunshine. I didn't know what Art was up to.  When the carpet guy left I went to find Art. 

He was lying on the bed. He said he felt terrible after half a dozen occurrences of vomiting and diarrhea. I took his temperature and it was 100.4. I gave him a covid test and it was negative. Within half an hour his color had changed to a grayish blue. I took his temp again and it was 102.1. Art said he had never felt so bad. By this time his voice was husky and his breathing was rapid and shallow.

I called the consulting nurse for Kaiser Permanente, our health care provider. She asked me a few questions, then asked to speak to Art. His voice was faint. I took the phone back from him. The nurse said, "You need to call 9-1-1."

I said, "Art, she says I should call 9-1-1." He said, "No." I said "Yes."

Ten minutes after my call to 9-1-1, the EMTs arrived at our house. Art's oxygen saturation was 83. Within 15 minutes they had carried him on a gurney to the ambulance and left for Banner University Medical Center.

Before I went to the hospital myself, I contacted several close friends; I knew I'd need their support for whatever came up.

By the time I got to the emergency room, Art was wearing an oxygen mask and receiving antibiotics. The doctor told me it was likely Art had a bacterial infection that had gotten to his bloodstream. When he arrived at the hospital he had severe sepsis - septic shock. 

The medical team at Banner saved Art's life on Saturday night with oxygen and antibiotics and expertise. A lab culture grew e-coli within two days. He spent the next four days in the hospital's Progressive Care Unit as the staff monitored his progress and administered IV antibiotics and fluids. I talked to the doctors and the nurses. They were all committed to educating us as to what was happening and the plan for Art's treatment.

By Thursday Art's medications were being administered orally and his supplemental oxygen was discontinued. And yesterday, Friday afternoon, he was discharged from the hospital. He'll be resting and recovering at home for the next week or so. Today he spent the day in his pajamas, watching TV. I went for take-out Thai soup, and as he ate it, his face lit up at the flavor. It's been a week since that last happened.

I called the Kaiser consulting nurse service and thanked them for saving his life. The nurse I talked to got a message sent directly to her. I called the ambulance service and thanked them. I have the name and email address of the administrator of the Banner hospital team. I will thank the medical team, through her, on Monday. It often happens that these lifesavers don't know the outcome of what they do. I think it's important to let them know.

Grateful, grateful, grateful!

 

7 comments:

Tom said...

Wow, what a scare! Wonder what caused it. But glad he's okay.

Linda Reeder said...

My own medical experiences in the last three weeks have shown me what wonderful, dedicated care our medical providers give. I have made it my goal to personally connect with as many of them as I could and let them know how appreciated they are. It felt like shared love, and kept me from being afraid.
My situation was not life threatening, though for a brief time that wasn't assured. You and Art have gone through something much more traumatic. I'm so glad Art is recovering, and you both are recovering from a very frightening experience. It is typical of your generous nature to find ways to thank and inform your health teams.

DJan said...

Yes, that was a week to remember! I am so glad to hear that Art is okay now, and that the quick response from the medical team saved his life. Not to mention his wife and her persistence! :-)

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, write, with a pen, on paper, to everyone involved in saving Art's life. When the local EMS saved my life when I had a stroke, I sent them a note. The driver said to my sister, "Don't try to keep up; I'm going lights and siren!" They told me later, they didn't expect me to live, so in my mind, "lights and siren" did the trick.

Mage said...

So very glad you called 911.

Charlene H said...

My first comment…Thankful for Art's return to good health after sepsis. My husband had a case back in 2018 that led to three weeks in the hospital and three weeks in assisted living. Totally crazy. Faith and prayers carried my husband and I through that trial.
Good for you for saying "yes" to 911. My husband has said the same "no". When his defibrillator went off, I called anyway!! Why do men not want that help? I suppose they’re worried about cost.
Thankful also for your Afghan friends/family situation. Thank you for sharing…

Allison said...

That was quite the event for you and Art. I am so glad you called 911 and that they were able to culture the bacteria. Glad he's better and best wishes to you both.