Sunday, August 22, 2010

Wicked Stepmother

My husband Art and I are sometimes known by his six children as "the Old Goat and the Wicked Stepmother." When he and I got together his kids ranged in age from 7 to 20, and it's been 17 years, so they're all grown now.

Yesterday we attended a nephew's wedding along the Columbia River in central Washington. Art's two daughters flew out from their homes on the east coast, and three of his sons drove out from their homes in the Seattle area. The five of them spent much of the evening standing on the grass, in a circle, talking. The circle included a husband, a wife and a sweetheart as well. It was the first time I'd ever seen them all, as adults, enjoying each other's company. It was likely a first for them too.

I spent a lot of time with these young people as they were growing up. We went through over ten years of being "pointless" as all eight of our kids went through their teen years. I can remember private, honest conversations I've had with all of Art's children - pep talks I've given, arguments I've had, and confidences I've kept.

Last night, Old Goat and the Wicked Stepmother were not standing in the circle with his grown children. Instead, we were watching them - and feeling gratified by the people they have become.

5 comments:

#1Nana said...

Oh, those are the moments to treasure! Isn't it such a feeling of accomplishment?

Linda Reeder said...

And that has made it all worth it!

Teresa Evangeline said...

It is interesting to watch our grown children from a slight distance, seeing them as adults with their own lives. Slightly sad and a whole lot of wonderful at the same time.

DJan said...

You are so fortunate to be able to see them with those eyes of appreciation. I will be visiting my niece and sister starting tomorrow, and I'll keep my heart open to see them like that. Hugs!

Linda Myers said...

We raised them to be independent, and they are. I wish we saw them more often. But I made too many "duty" trips to see my parents, because they expected it. That behavior stops with me.