Saturday, September 11, 2010

Coastal Coffee House

We're in Searsport, Maine, visiting friends. Yesterday we flew in an Alaska Airlines 737 from Seattle to Boston, and in a Cape Air 9-passenger Cessna from Boston to Rockland, Maine. Friends Beth and Brian picked us up. Last night we slept under a comfortable in a little Amish-built house on their property. Tomorrow evening we board the schooner Heritage in Rockland for our six-day sail.

This morning we had breakfast in a local cafe. We were welcomed by a dozen locals introduced to us by Brian. Best Belgian waffles I've ever eaten, two cups of wonderful French vanilla coffee, several cribbage games going on. I found out that every person in the cafe comes from somewhere else. All the long-time Maine residents eat in the cafe across the street!

For some reason, every time we come to Maine - half a dozen times in the last ten years - it calls my name. I'm chatting with people on this visit. I think I'd like to live here for a year - trade houses with another family who'd like to experience the Pacific Northwest. Now that I'm not working, that's a possibility.

9 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

I'm jealous.

Linda said...

All that sounds wonderful. I too would love to experience Maine for a while.

DJan said...

It's funny how a place can "call your name" like that. I found it when we visited the Pacific Northwest in 2006, and we moved to our first idea of what we would like and find it good. Have a great sail, Linda. This sure sounds like fun!

#1Nana said...

Linda, Well, Alaska didn't call my name...it was COLD! Even though the sun was shining, I was bundled up. I hope you have smooth sailing and beautiful weather.
Jann

Georgia said...

So glad you are enjoying it! I'd love to see some pictures.

Deb Shucka said...

I say go for it. You've made me wonder if Maine isn't calling my name and I've never been (yet).

Murr Brewster said...

This is the first year in a long time I didn't make it to Maine. I love it too, but I think the fact that you're there in September helps a lot. You've missed mud season, black fly season, and mosquito season, I hope. Just about the time that things can't get any more beautiful it snows all over you. Which is fine, but not the best traveling weather for Pac. NW folks like us.

Sally Wessely said...

This sounds wonderful. I hope to make it to Maine sometime soon. I will keep your experience in mind. Smooth sailing!

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You ~Ron