Monday, September 20, 2010

In from the island

Our six-day schooner cruise was profoundly relaxing. Good food, gorgeous sailing, lobster on a deserted island, 26 fun people from around the country, plus five crew members about whom I'll be writing a short piece when we get home. Art took many pictures which I'll go through before I post a few. This was our fourth trip out on the Heritage. I can't recommend the trip more highly. Check out the videos at www.schoonerheritage.com.

We took the Mid-Coast bus to Portland yesterday, caught a taxi to the Casco Bay ferry dock and walked on for the 15-minute run to Peaks Island, where I had a second lobster dinner yesterday. Usually I can manage three such dinners before I'm "all lobstered out". One more to go.

Many windows in our home exchange house - one view of Casco Bay with the Portland skyline beyond, the other to sea. I can hear gulls and waves and not much else. What a retreat! Our home exchange partners Mark and Sally are settled into our house in Washington State. I hear it's pouring rain there. Sorry for them, but glad to be in sunny Maine!

Today we caught the ferry back into Portland to visit the farmers market for vegetables, and we'll be leaving the Portland Public Library, where I am now, for the larger grocery store (Hanneford's) for meat and whatever else we need, before we head back to the island.

8 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

I am so happy for you, green with envy, but happy. And, Happy Birthday! I miss Portland and the sea. Hannaford's is a great grocery store. Enjoy!

DJan said...

I am also happy for you. It's been raining here in the PNW WAY more than normal, so you are in the right place, Linda. I look forward to the pictures when you get home.

Linda said...

I am so jealous but also glad you're having such a nice trip. Will be anxious to see the pictures. I love Maine and would like to visit again.

Linda Hoye said...

Sounds heavenly! DJan - yes rain is the keyword her ein the PNW right now, isn't it?! Yuck!

Linda Reeder said...

We've had about 3.5 inches of rain in the last four days! That is not typical even for Seattle. So sail away in your sunshine while you can.

#1Nana said...

What a great way to spend your birthday. We've even had rain in the sunny eastern part of the PNW.

Arkansas Patti said...

Home exchange seems like such a smart way to go. Think you got the best deal weather wise.
That cruise sounds like it could become a lifestyle.
Keep enjoying beautiful Maine.

Sally Wessely said...

Glad to hear you had such a great trip.